GPSC and The Graduate Center and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs are collaborating to produce a series of Professional Development Webinars for Graduate Students!
For Spring 2021, the series will be hosted by PhD Career Counselor, Joel Muraco.
$$**Register today and be eligible to win $100 in CASH!**$$
IDENTIFYING CAREER OPPORTUNITIES OUTSIDE OF ACADEMIA
March 23, 2021 from 3:00-4:30 p.m.
A "how-to" for learning about opportunities you may be interested in., or a good fit for. From assessments to conversations and using Linkedin to your advantage - there are likely a number of opportunities for you outside the academy.
CREATING AND TAILORING INDUSTRY
APPROPRIATE APPLICATION MATERIALS
Tuesday, April 20, 2021 from 3:00-4:30 p.m.
Your application materials need to clearly communicate how you are a good fit for the role to which you are applying. Rarely will a CV be your document of choice when applying to industry roles. Learn strategies tips and tricks for creating materials that will get you interviews
$100 Cash Grant Prize
- GPSC is supporting $1000 in prizes for ten attendees from each seminar.
- Registered students can win by taking what they learned in any seminar they attended and post how they are applying it to their lives within two weeks of the seminar date. Simply tag GPSC and/or GradCollege on any social media platform with your entry!
Information on additional sessions
will be announced per schedule below:
- Building Your Professional Brand [March: 1.5 hours]
- A focus on identifying relevant skills, how best to frame those skills, and looking for professional development opportunities to address skill gaps.
- Application Materials (Resumes & Cover Letters) [April: 2 hours]
- A how-to for creating dynamic and engaging resumes and cover letters.
- Identifying Career opportunities [June: 1.5 hours]
- How to use platforms to search for jobs and then how best to evaluate those opportunities based on skills, passions, and long-term career goals.
- Building Your Professional Network [July: 1.5 hours]
- How to use social media platforms LinkedIn and Twitter to build your professional network to help with your professional development and long-term career goals.
- Advocating for Oneself [September]
- A focus on how to identify your professional development needs and how to work with others to help you develop in meaningful ways.
- Creating and Maximizing Mentoring Relationships [November]
- An overview of the benefits of mentoring relationships, a how-to for identifying mentors, and strategies for how to maximize such relationships.